I’m a firm believer that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so here’s my favourite Bircher Muesli recipe straight from the Integrated Wellbeing kitchen.
As you’ll see on the accompanying video, this really is a tasty, quick and healthy breakfast option. And be sure to check out my recent blog post “10 Reasons Not To Skip Breakfast” which highlights why skipping the first meal of the day is really not a good idea!
The ingredients listed are for one portion (though if you double up, you have breakfast ready for the following day – in that instance I would recommend replacing apple with blueberries or raspberries as the apple can become too wet and loses its colour too).
- 40g per portion quick porridge oats – gluten free oats (such as the Alara organic version) work really well too
- 200ml unsweetened, organic almond milk (Rude Health is my current favourite)
- ½ banana (mashed)
- ½ apple (grated) (blueberries are another favourite. I try not to add more than one fruit in addition to the banana to avoid unwanted sugar spikes)
- 1 dessert spoon mix of flaxseed, pumpkin and sunflower (you can buy this mix already ground and mixed – Linwoods is a favourite)
- 1 tea spoon of milled chia seeds
- unsweetened dessicated coconut
- 1 oz (approximately 18) pecan nuts (or a mix of any of your favourite nuts – ground hazelnuts or almonds are also a really yummy addition)
- cinnamon to your liking
You can watch (and share) my Bircher Muesli (quick & healthy breakfast) video here: Chrissie TV – From the IW Kitchen
I’d love hear from you with your favourite muesli recipes or alternative healthy breakfast – after all this is the most important meal of the day! Please leave a comment below.
With love and wellbeing wishes,