This incredibly delicious, dairy alternative has become a firm favourite in our household – I can’t keep up with the orders!
This protein (and healthy fats) rich yoghurt is equally at home on your morning home-made Bircher’s Muesli (click here for my easy Bircher’s recipe video) as it is “au natural” with a few blueberries and a dusting of cinnamon or a sprinkling of chopped pecans and a drizzle of maple syrup – yummy! And it’s an easy recipe too …
I use an American cup measure as so many recipes these days are U.S. ones and it’s easier than trying to convert!
- 2 cups of unroasted cashews
- 1 cup of filtered water (add a little more if you prefer your yoghurt a slightly thinner consistency than Greek yoghurt)
- 3 Tablesoons of maple syrup (vary according to desired sweetness)
- 1 Tablesoon of pure vanilla essence (or bean pod if you have it) – again adjust to your preferred taste
- ¼ Teaspoon of probiotic powder (this is necessary to thicken the yoghurt and provides the wonderfully gut-friendly bacteria in the end product)
Soak the cashews in filtered water for about two hours, then drain and rinse.
Blend for a couple of minutes until your yoghurt has a completely smooth and creamy texture.
It may well warm up during this process which is a good thing as it will speed up the fermenting process.
Add to a pre-warmed dish or storage tub with a firm lid (I use a click and lock type of tub) making sure there is an inch or so room left at the top to allow for some expansion.
Put the yoghurt into a warm place (airing cupboard is ideal if you have one or near a warm radiator). The probiotics will do their thing in 8-12 hours. I usually leave mine overnight (if we can wait that long!), then give it a stir and place in the fridge to cool.
Hey presto! An amazing, home-made fermented yoghurt that will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days (that’s if I don’t tell everyone that I’ve made a new batch!).
Incidentally, this yoghurt doesn’t taste of cashews which is the beauty of these fabulously versatile nuts. More on these little beauties in later posts.
With love and wellbeing wishes,