Now that summer’s here, it’s time to mix up your salads and try something different.
This easy recipe for my warm sweet potato and quinoa salad is not only yummy but a nutritious veggie meal with carbs, protein and healthy fats thrown in! And for those who like to support local growers and minimise food air miles, check out The British Quinoa Company in Shropshire.
The quantities below are for a salad that serves 2 people.
- quinoa (1 cup)
- sweet potato (1 large)
- courgette (1 large)
- mixed salad leaves (4 handfuls)
- cashew nuts (1 cup)
- avocado (1 large)
- cherry tomatoes (12)
- fresh mint / coriander (1 small handful)
- balsamic dressing
You can use a pre-made or shop-bought dressing but I prefer to make my own before each meal using the ingredients below. It really is easy and you can adjust it each time to your own taste.
- extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- Maldon sea salt
- Dijon mustard
- ground black pepper
- tiny pinch of Stevia (or your own favourite plant-based sweetener)
Start with the quinoa and the sweet spud. Once they’re prep’d and cooking, you can get on with the other stuff.
- Rinse and cook the quinoa as normal then set to one side
- Peel, dice and steam the sweet potato
- Grate or spiralize the courgette
- Dry toast the cashews on a gentle heat in a pan or skillet for no more than 5 minutes (either using them whole or roughly chopped, whichever you prefer)
- Dice the avocado
- Quarter the cherry tomatoes
Place all the ingredients (except the cashews) in a large salad bowl, then add the dressing and toss thoroughly.
Toss it well so that everything has a coating of that gorgeous dressing and quinoa.
Finally, sprinkle your toasted cashews on the top, and serve!
I’d love to hear your favourite summer salad recipes so we can try them at Integrated Wellbeing here in sunny Devon, so please post links or recipes below.
With love and wellbeing wishes,